The weather in Virginia, at least in Richmond, has been a scorcher. It is to the point where as soon as you step outside, the humidity wraps you in a hug, and you crawl your way back to air conditioning as fast as humanly possible. Normally, I would then hibernate in the kitchen, and experiment with recipes, however this has not been the case.
I am still on the mend, and like our cats have been taking a few cat naps during the day. We are also having some changes made to our house, so I have been spending a bit less time in the kitchen so it does not appear that I am hovering over the work being done. We have had to lock the kitties up and I will go in there and spend some time with them so they don’t howl or ram the door to get out (yes, our insane cat does this).
Therefore, quick and easy recipes that satisfy the sweet tooth are where it has been at lately. An easy and delicious recipe are these mini pavlovas with lemon curd and blackberries. They keep well for several days in the fridge, or you can serve them right away.
Gluten Free Mini Pavlovas
- For lemon curd, see here
- For meringue:
- 2 egg whites
- pinch of salt
- .6 of a cup of sugar
- 1 tsp corn flour
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- icing sugar for dusting- optional.
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350F.
- Step 2 Whisk the eggwhites with a mixer, with the salt, until it is firm.
- Step 3 Slowly add your sugar and continue to mix until stiff peaks form. When it looks as if it has a satin sheen to it, add your cornflour, white wine vinegar, and vanilla.
- Step 4 Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Step 5 Draw six circles (I used the bottom of a pint glass), and then flip the paper over. You will be able to see the circles from the other side.
- Step 6 Spoon the meringue onto the parchment paper and cover the circles. Use a spoon to make an indent in the centre, this will be where the lemon curd is placed.
- Step 7 Put it into the oven and turn it down to 300F.
- Step 8 Bake for 30 minutes, and then turn off the oven. Let them sit in the oven for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Step 9 Transfer them onto wire racks to cool.
- Step 10 When you want to assemble them, place the lemon curd in the indentations, place 3 or more blackberries on top, and sprinkle with icing sugar.
- Step 11 If you wish, you can serve these with whipped cream, but they don’t need it.
- Step 12 Enjoy!