The sweet tooth won out today. Today I woke up simply craving something sweet. I was not sure what we had in the house as we plan to go grocery shopping tonight or tomorrow but I thought we must have ingredients for something. I took to the internet and settled on a soufflé.
It is sweet, delicious, and not too time consuming.
Vanilla Blueberry Souffle
- 2 eggs (separated)
- 1 tbsp softened unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp all purpose (gluten free) flour- I used cup4cup
- 1/2 cup of warm milk (I used 1%)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- extra butter for the ramekins
- For compote see: http://gfsoutherner.com/%EF%BB%BFblueberry-pancakes-and-blueberry-compote/
- Step 1 This recipe serves four so take your four ramekins and butter them. Butter them in an upward motion (from the bottom of the ramekin upwards) as this will help when they bake. Once buttered, sugar the ramekins. Shake out when done to eliminate leftover sugar in the ramekins.
- Step 2 In a sauce pan, place the butter and allow it to melt. Once it has melted, mix in the flour and make a roux. Remove the pan from the heat and slowly mix in the warm milk.
- Step 3 Once mixed together place back on the heat. Mix with a wooden spoon until ribbons form in the sauce. Remove from heat.
- Step 4 Once removed from the heat, add the vanilla and pinch of salt to the roux. Separate the egg yokes from the egg whites ( set the whites aside) and mix in the egg yokes. Transfer the sauce from the sauce pan into a bowl and set aside.
- Step 5 Take the egg whites and begin to whisk. This will take about 20 mins by hand- I cheated and used my hand mixer. Slowly mix with the sugar and whisk until you have peaks.
- Step 6 Take 1/3 of the egg whites (meringue) and mix with the sauce. Once it is mixed well, put the entirety of the sauce back into the bowl with the remaining 2/3 of meringue. Mix well.
- Step 7 Place the mixture into the ramekins. Line the rim with a knife- this will help with the baking.
- Step 8 Set the oven to 390F and bake for 12-15 minutes. When they are ready, take from oven, top with compote and serve immediately.