Weekend mornings call for something special and I always think pancakes are special. It is a great way to have carb and fruit all in one delicious package.
If you want to have a quick breakfast, then the best gluten free pancake mix I have found is Bob’s Red Mill. It is easily accessible in most grocery stores in Canada and in the USA. The back of the package gives the ingredients list and while they give a basic pancake recipe, they are missing two key ingredients.
Blueberry Pancakes (and blueberry compote)
- 1 1/2 cups of pancake mix
- 1 cup milk (I use 1%)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- sugar (if making compote)
- maple syrup (if desired)
- Now the additional ingredients:
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Step 1 If you are going to make the compote, in a sauce pan, take 1 tbsp of sugar, put in enough water just to cover your berries and toss in your berries. I used about 3/4 of a cup of blueberries. Put on high heat and allow the compote to boil down until it creates a berry syrup and almost a jam like substance for the berries. Once it reaches this consistency, remove from heat until ready to use.
- Step 2 Method for pancakes:
- Step 3 Mix all of the wet ingredients in a bowl. Once mixed well, add the pancake mix.
- Step 4 Mix together well until the batter is smooth. Once the batter is smooth, add the vanilla and cinnamon.
- Step 5 In a pan, you can either heat up butter or use vegetable oil (I always prefer butter) and use a ladle or spoon to place the batter in the pan. Add the blueberries to the pancake and allow to cook all the way through. Once your pancakes are done, if you have made the compote, you can place it on top and serve. Remember, you can do this and use maple syrup- we did this and we loved it.
- Step 6 Enjoy!